Back to project list
Location/Client: Sub-Saharan Africa/AusAID, World Bank
Time frame: 2001
In 2001, Educo provided consultancy services for a World Bank/AusAID scoping and design mission for a US$ 3M institutional strengthening project for the African Virtual University (AVU), a network of universities across the continent linked through the Global Development Learning Network (GDLN).
The study and design mission entailed liaising with the AVU's leadership and partner institutions in Kenya, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe to:
- review the AVU's strategic priorities;
- carry out a SWOT analysis for the organisation and its partners;
- analyse possibilities for expanding its institutional network;
- assess the effectiveness and financial viability of different delivery options;
- plan necessary outsourcing;
- analyse staff training needs;
- and map future policy development support.
As part of this project, the AVU changed its business model, away from that of a traditional distance learning university towards a knowledge broker and facilitator. The University's focus changed from offering courses to acting as a portal - validating content providers and universities and then connecting them to consumers - as well as offering high-quality information resources to improve learning outcomes and encourage best practice.